Aspen Skiing Company Bar Manager - The Little Nell in Aspen, Colorado
The function of the Bar Manager is to oversee daily operations in the bars. The Bar Manager is responsible for monitoring and controlling beer and liquor costs, writing and updating cocktail menus, overseeing the product line, and managing the staff.
Essential Job Functions
• Coordinate hiring of staff with Human Resources and coordinate arrival of new hires from overseas. Train all incoming and existing bar staff. Hold weekly bar staff meetings to provide ongoing training throughout the season.
• Be on floor as host of bars, communicate with guests, ascertain guest satisfaction, address guest concerns or problems. Follow through on all guest issues, communicating with upper management.
• Develop and maintain all beverage menus for both bars. Communicate closely with Executive Chef on customer feedback and sales for the bar food menus, food quality and presentation. Remain informed on current trends and make recommendations for changes and direction of department to F&B Director based on industry trends.
• Ensure payroll processing for all bar employees in both bars.
• Responsible for posting weekly staff schedule based on staffing guidelines and business levels.
• Control beverage costs. Work with Director of Purchasing to manage the product line, negotiate with purveyors and conduct monthly inventories. Oversee bartenders to ensure proper pour levels and controls are in place. Oversee secret spotter program to ensure controls are followed and service standards are consistently being met. Monitor par levels in both bars and banquets. Monitor beverage pricing based on raw costs and competitive analysis. Ensure overall profitability of the bar.
• Standardize and document all cocktail recipes, and ensure product consistency. Research products such as mixers, bar snacks, glassware and more to remain competitive and provide a superior experience for our guests.
• Enforce service standards, procedures and policies. Ensure staff is in proper uniform and opens on time daily.
• Ensure that the bar is kept clean and organized. Ensure music and lighting are set at appropriate settings for the time of day and mood of the bars.
• Work with Sales and Marketing Director and F&B Director on promotional efforts to drive business. Hold staff sales incentives.
• Attend F&B and Department Head meetings.
• Conduct Bi Monthly training sessions and departmental meetings.
• Perform employee 60-day and annual performance evaluations for employees.
• Be available during service to assist servers in any way needed (computer problems, taking orders, bussing) to ensure that guests’ needs are taken care of.
*Additional Job Duties: *
• Complete tasks and projects delegated by your Supervisor.
• Assist other departments as business volumes and staff levels demand.
• Responsible for all administrative duties associated with both bars. This includes but is not limited to PAF’s, Employee Action Forms, payroll, separation reports, inter-bar transfers, menu changes, daily beverage requisitions and monthly inventories.
• Enforce and comply with all policies and procedures for the Food and Beverage Department, The Little Nell and the Aspen Skiing Company.
• Minimum of a high school diploma - preferred college degree.
• Minimum entry level sommelier certification and at least 1 year experience in wine sales
• 5 years F&B management experience.
Physical requirements of the position include
• Ability to carry heavy loads such as trays and tables (40-60 pounds)
• Ability to pull heavy loads (300 pounds)
• Standing, bending, and stooping required.