Volunteers Of America Colorado Cook in Idaho Springs, Colorado
Idaho Springs, CO
The Production Cook prepares; cooks, and packages for delivery hot and/or cold meal items by following specified recipes in approved menus and daily productions sheets in accordance with Volunteers of America standards and procedures for Nutrition, Residential or Headstart Programs; under the direction of a Food Service Manager or the Associate Division Director.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
• Prepares quantity and quality soups and casserole dishes, assembles sauces and gravies; roasts, bakes, braises, or steams meats, starches and vegetables or other food items for daily program meal production.
• Uses acquired culinary skills to produce high quality products, ensuring excellent taste, appearance, texture and client acceptability.
• Portions and packages foods according to number of meals ordered, minimizing waste and leftover items.
• Using menu plans, requisitions product and supplies in advance to ensure accuracy and efficient workflow.
• Maintains a safe, clean work area and strictly follows proper sanitation policies.
• Ensures product safety employing proper temperature controls at all times.
• Uses and maintains kitchen equipment in a clean, safe, and appropriate manner.
• Chills, labels and properly stores any unused product or leftovers.
• Prepares special event meals and requested items as directed by Food Service Project Manager.
• Attends all meetings and Agency trainings as required.
• Direct, train, or assist other kitchen employees, temporary workers, or volunteers as assigned.
• Performs all other duties as assigned.
• Models core culture attributes of Volunteers of America-Colorado Branch that include
“AIRS” (Accountability, Integrity, Respect and Service).
• Models and pursues with vigor Volunteers of America- Colorado Branch three critical virtues of HHS ( Hungry, Humble, and People Smart).
• Occasional program volunteers
• Occasional temporary laborers in the absence of a Food Service Manager or Associate Director
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS OF POSITION
• One year related experience in cooking or similar production facility.
• Ability to read and write, following standardized recipes and production sheets.
• Ability to perform basic kitchen mathematical calculations.
• Ability to lift, push or pull up to 50 lbs. repeatedly during a daily shift.
• Servsafe certified or ability to acquire food safety certification within 3 months of hire.
PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS OF POSITION
• At least one year high volume institutional cooking experience.
KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS
• Clearly and respectfully communicates with Agency staff, volunteers, clients, and vendors.
• Solid time management and organizational skills.
WORKING CONDITIONS AND PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS
• Frequent exposure to heat, cold, steam and fumes, including walk-in refrigeration and freezers.
• Uses knives, utensils, and commercial cooking equipment throughout shift.
• Stand, pivot, and walk on hard surface majority of shift.
• Lift, push, or pull up to 50 lbs.
• Occasional exposure to chemicals and cleaning solvents.
POSITION TYPE AND EXPECTED HOURS OF WORK
• Relief as needed
• Designated holidays and special events